As we welcome 2018, we have also welcomed in an unusually severe flu season. It started earlier than normal and so far has been more severe than in previous years (check out the CDC Flu Map for more details). We have shared tips all week on ways to prevent — or decrease the severity of — the cold or flu. Some of you may have been blessed with with good health during this cold and flu season while others have been struggling for several weeks. Regardless of which category you find yourself in, this post should offer you hope and encouragement and give you the tools necessary to get (or stay) healthy!
In today’s post, we will share a list of tips you can use to completely eradicate, or at the very least, shorten the length and severity of the illness. Let me say, the best results with these remedies are when you sense that first “tickle” in your throat or at the first sign of a fever. The sooner you start treating your body, the better chance you have of stopping the illness it in its tracks. Also, it is important to mention that once you start feeling better, don’t stop treatment! Continue for another week until you are sure the virus is completely annihilated. Here is a list of remedies you can try. I personally have used many of these simultaneously in the war against sickness.
- At the beginning of the cold and flu season, start taking a Vitamin C and a Zinc supplement. You can increase the amount of Vitamin C if you start to feel under the weather but higher doses of Vitamin C work better when you already have it in your system.
- Put a few drops of Hydrogen Peroxide in each ear – one ear at a time. To do this, lie down on your side, put a few drops in your ear and allow it is drain in for about 5 minutes. Flip over and repeat for the other ear. Of course, the first ear will drain a little and that is OK. After about 5 minutes, flip over again and let the second ear drain.
Please note, I am not a doctor! I am just sharing what I personally use to help treat colds and flu. Consult your doctor before trying any home remedy that you are not comfortable with.
- Place Thieves Oil mixed with a Carrier Oil around the back of your ears and down the sides of your throat.
- Mix two tablespoons of Apple Cider Vinegar (ACV) (we recommend Bragg’s, with “The Mother”) and one tablespoon of Raw Manuka Honey in a coffee cup with hot water and drink 2-3 times per day. This acts as a natural antibiotic and thins out the mucus in your system.
- For a sore throat, mix 3 drops of Lemon Essential Oil and 1 drop of Peppermint Oil with water and gargle.
- Start taking Oil of Oregano 2-3 times per day. Again, Oil of Oregano is a natural antibiotic and will help your body fight sickness.
- Do an Ionic Foot Bath every other day. This will remove toxins from your system and give your immune system a boost to help concentrate on the current illness.
- Epsom salt baths. Mix one cup of Epsom Salt in a tub of warm water and soak. This will help remove toxins from your system.
- Place an oil diffuser/humidifier in the room where you sleep and put Eucalyptus Oil in the diffuser. This will help you breathe easier so you can sleep.
- Place Eucalyptus Oil mixed with a Carrier Oil on the bottom of your feet at night so you can sleep peacefully without coughing.
- Eat cold and flu busting foods such as chicken soup, vegetable soup and warm teas.
- Diffuse Thieves Oil in your household diffusers. This kills 99% of airborne germs.
- Wash all surfaces with Thieves Cleaner to kill germs.
If you have any tips that we have not included in this list, do share them with us! Best of luck to all of you on staying healthy this cold and flu season.